Valiapally

Valiapally

Valiapally

The present church was constructed during the time of Fr.Joseph Ithiparambil. The renovation began in 1962 and was consecrated by Mar Mathew Kavukattu, the Archbishop of Changanachery in 1966. The church, brilliantly enshrining the western architecture, in 180 feet tall and 55 feet wide. The ‘madbaha and Roopakoodu’ were build in Portuguese style. The intricate altar engraving, the awesome gothic structure, the three huge glockenspiels in the belfry, the well known Kalkurish and the renowned feast of St.Sebastian with all its traditional ethos and the magnificent pyrotechnics- all these adorn the church and its elegance.

Altar

Altar

Altar

The Crowing of Mary as the Queen of the three worlds is etched on the altar and it is brightened with golden leaves. The splendid and large altar with oil paintings is the greatest attraction of Athirampuzha church.

Bells

Bells

Bells

The three massive bells hanging on the 85 feet tall bell fry was imported from Germany. Rev. Fr. Bonifus bought it from Germany in 1905.The words ‘Arch Angel- St.Michael’ are inscribed on the biggest of the three bells, ‘San Sebastian-St.Sebastian ‘ on the second and ‘santa Maria-st. mary’ on the smaller of the bells. It is written in the records that these bells had cost 2157 rupees 25 Chakram and 4 Kasu in those days.

Granite Cross

Granite Cross

Granite Cross

The cross is erected in front of the church is made of a single piece of granite and is 200 years old. The huge cross made of granite is 30 feet tall is standing on a 2.5 feet high platform in 8 ‘pattam’ with stone steps on all sides in front of the church. Three granite lamps attached on stone pillars erected in the middle of the platform. The Cross was erected in the early decades of 18 th century.